Current Planning Manager
Company: CITY OF FLAGSTAFF
Posted on: September 15, 2019
The City of Flagstaff is seeking a professional, highly motivated
and articulate individual to join our Planning and Development
Services section as the Current Planning Manager. The successful
candidate will be a positive influence on daily operations, enjoy
working with members of the public to address complex development
related issues, and be comfortable leading a team approach to
solving problems. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest
in multiple facets of planning, form-based code, housing, and
development review, while exhibiting exceptional interpersonal
skills with the public, interdisciplinary teams, and consultants
alike.--Actively supports and upholds the City's stated mission and
values.-- Performs highly responsible management, supervisor, and
administrative work associated with the Current Planning Program of
the Planning and Development Services Section.----Under the direct
supervision of the Planning Director, employees of this class are
expected to exercise a high degree of independent judgment,
initiative, professional skills, knowledge, and leadership in the
day-to-day implementation of the City's Zoning Code as it pertains
to regulation and control of the City's development, growth, and
design of buildings and sites.-- Provides leadership to the Current
Planning Program using appropriate management techniques.-- An
important aspect of this position is the accountability to the
Planning Director, to be in full accord with the Flagstaff Regional
Plan 2030, City of Flagstaff Zoning Code, and all policies,
procedures, laws, and ordinances relating to the
- Supervisory:-- This job has full responsibility for supervision
at the program level (hires, directs, schedules, transfers,
promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates other
- Budgetary:-- This job has full responsibility for budgeting at
the program level (prepares, implements, and manages).
- Strategic Planning:-- This job has full responsibility for
strategic planning at the program level (develops, implements,
interprets, and manages long and short-term goals).
- Policies/Procedures:-- This job has full responsibility for
policies and procedures at the program level (develops, implements,
- Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the program
level (follows, assists in ensuring compliance with, and may
enforce) Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as
well as City policies and procedures.
- Council Communications:-- This job has full responsibility for
Council communication at the program level (assists with making
recommendations and presentations, writing staff summaries,
ensuring Performance Measures are met, and balancing needs with
Council's adopted priorities and direction).
- Reporting:-- This job has partial responsibility for reporting
to Federal/State/Local agencies at the program level (ensures
reporting requirements are met, trains others on reporting
requirements and methods, and addresses discrepancies in
reporting).----EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and
- Supervise the Development Services Manager, Planning
Development Managers (4) and Associate Planner
- Serves as staff liaison to the Planning & Zoning
- Provides staff support and reports to the Planning & Zoning
Commission, City Council, and Board of Adjustments on developmental
and design issues.
- Assigns applications and cases to staff, manages projects and
programs; and coordinates the section's activities with other city
divisions, organizations, local agencies, developers, and the
- Establishes performance measures to improve delivery of
services, changes in operations, working conditions, case
assignments, staffing needs, quality of work, and efficiency of the
- Coordinates the processing of private and public development
applications through the City's Interdivisional Staff review.
- Coordinates the Planner of the Day staff support at the front
counter to assist citizens and developers with questions regarding
development and design.
- Establishes individual schedules, communicates performance
expectations, monitors progress, evaluates project and staff
performance results, identifies employee training needs and
performs annual staff evaluations within the program.
- Makes recommendations to the Planning Director on staffing
decisions such as new hires, promotions, reclassifications,
reorganizations and scheduling.
- Works with the Comprehensive Planning program and Economic
Vitality staff in developing plans for specific areas of the
- Prepares and administers assigned budget in accordance with
work program goals and objectives.
- Assist developers and the general public in proposed
development applications, and with development problems related to
planning and zoning.
- Coordinates and manages specific projects and committee
responsibilities as assigned by the Planning Development Services
- Keeps Planning Director advised of Current Planning activities
through written and oral reports.
- Conducts high-level professional decisions and negotiations
when preparing development agreements and recommendations in
complicated staff reports.
- Serves as a member of the Community Development leadership
- Other duties as assigned.----MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in planning or related field.
- Seven years of professional level planning experience,
including three years of management experience.
- Five years of supervisory experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training
equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.----DESIRED EXPERIENCE
- Professional level experience specifically in development
review and design review, project management, and staff
- American Institute of Certified Planners accreditation
- Master's Degree in planning or related field desired----OTHER
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to
ensure continuity.------REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to supervise professional and technical staff and
establish and maintain effective, productive relationships in a
team concept environment.
- Extensive knowledge in the practices, methods, and principles
of urban planning and implementation techniques, especially as they
related to growth, development, design review, zoning
administration, project management and implementing form-based
- Ability to perform research, evaluate complicated statistical
data, conduct independent investigations, provide recommendations,
and to present facts and conclusions clearly in written, graphic,
and oral form to developers, commissions, council, and the public
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of staff
management and modern supervising techniques.
- Ability to direct, coordinate, and evaluate the work of
professional planners as it relates to their assigned review
- Ability to exercise considerable initiative and independent
- Ability to analyze the potential impact of development
- Ability to negotiate and problem solve.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with public, public
officials, private groups, outside agencies, and companies.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply laws, regulations, and
policies and determine applicability especially as pertaining to
City operations, policies, and programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with other city employees, divisions, officials,
developers, and the general public.----PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to sit, talk or hear, and is regularly required
to stand, walk, use hands to finger/handle/feel, and reach with
hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or
balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50
- Vision requirements for this position include close vision,
distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust
- Working conditions include occasional exposure to wet or humid
conditions, work near moving mechanical parts, work in high
precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic
chemicals, and outdoor weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually
- There are no pre-employment physical requirements for this
- There are no pre-employment testing requirements for this
- There are no pre-employment vaccination requirements for this
position.----CLASSIFICATION INFORMATIONRange 115, C-5-1, FLSA
exemptThe Arizona Republic. Keywords: Urban Planning Manager,
Location: Flagstaff, AZ - 86003
Keywords: CITY OF FLAGSTAFF, Flagstaff , Current Planning Manager, Executive , Flagstaff, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!