Charge RN Medical/Surgical ICU
Company: Northern Arizona Healthcare Corporation
Posted on: January 8, 2021
Overview:Ensuring the achievement of Northern Arizona
Healthcare's mission, the RN Charge, under the supervision of the
Clinical Manager/Director, is responsible for overseeing and
directing the patient care activities on the unit during a worked
shift. When providing leadership to the department, the RN Charge
acts as an advocate for the shift, making sure the Clinical
Manager/Director are aware of the unique needs of the shift. The RN
Charge provides leadership for nursing personnel by being a team
leader, serving as a preceptor, and being an active member of the
health care team. The RN Charge practices within the ENA and ANA
Scope of Practice, the ENA and the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses
and the standards of his/ or her specialty.Responsibilities:Patient
Care * Addresses patient and family concerns, communicates issues
and solutions through appropriate channels.
- Documents incidents, events, interventions, and
- Serves as patient advocate.
- Works with other departments to ensure smooth patient
throughput processes including discharge planning and patient
education as appropriate.
- Collaborates with physicians and other health care
- Serves as a liaison with patients, physicians, Administrative
Coordinator, Staffing Office, Patient Placement Center, Care
Coordination department, unit staff, ancillary staff and
- Serves as a resource, assists staff in caring for
- Staffing for current and next shift, determining appropriate
staff levels and mix to provide quality care and maintain unit
- Assign patient care teams, delegate patient care activities to
unit and ancillary staff.
- Addresses work flow issues, ensures incidents are appropriately
documented and corrective steps are taken.
- Adjudicates job related problems as the first level in the
employee grievance procedure, provides credible input regarding
employment actions including performance evaluation, promotion,
discipline, and discharge on a regular basis.
- Makes bed assignment based on patient needs and staff
- Identifies appropriate referral and educational resources for
patients and staff.
- Ensures staff accountability, monitors staff performance,
provides constructive feedback.
- Advocates for both patients and staff as needs arise.Education
- Participates in creating and sustaining a learning environment
supported by evidenced based practice and research.
- Focuses on personal development areas, engaging in
professional/collegial interactions with peers and students.
- Work collaboratively with peers and other health care
providers, and participating in ongoing in-service and educational
- Participates in the mentoring and education of colleagues and
- Responsible for reporting any safety related incident in a
timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends all safety
related training programs; performs work in a safe manner; monitors
work environment for possible safety issues and ensures others are
also performing work in a safe manner.
- Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting
patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental
policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost effective
- Stays current and complies with state and federal
regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employees
area of responsibility.
- If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or
licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
- Completes all company mandatory modules and required job
specific training in the specified time frame.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation of assessments,
interventions, EMR entries, and patient
responses.Qualifications:Must be enrolled into a BSN program within
1 year from date of acceptance and obtain within 2 years of
employment.***For employees currently in Charge Nurse roles, must
have Bachelor's degree no later than June 30, 2020. If current
Charge Nurse intends to retire within 5 years, this requirement is
waived. Certification & LicensuresCurrent, unrestricted license in
the State of Arizona- RequiredBLS (American Heart Assoc.)-
RequiredACLS- Required for RN's who provide direct care to adult
patients in monitored care areas.NRP- Required for RN's who provide
direct care to newborns (not required for VVMC RN's working in
Emergency)ATCN- Required for RN's who provide direct care to
critical acute trauma patients.ENPC- Preferred for RN's who provide
direct care to pediatric patients in the special care
area.ICUNeuro-trauma training- Preferred
Keywords: Northern Arizona Healthcare Corporation, Flagstaff , Charge RN Medical/Surgical ICU, Healthcare , Flagstaff, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!