Systems Administrator, Intermediate
Company: Northern Arizona University
Posted on: January 9, 2021
Workplace CultureNAU is a community devoted to student success
and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission,
vision, and values. We-faculty, staff, and administrators-thrive by
combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's
culture of excellence.Immigration Suppt/SponsorshipNAU will not
provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this
position.Job DescriptionThe Systems Administrator, Intermediate is
responsible for administering NAU's server environment and
associated services in a 7x24 environment. They will work as a
member of a team of Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux System
Administrators responsible for maintaining NAU's critical Microsoft
services.Under direct supervision, primary responsibilities of this
- Install and maintain server hardware
- Install, configure, and maintain Microsoft Windows and/or Red
Hat Linux Server operating systems in stand-alone, virtualized, and
- Maintain high level of reliability, availability, system
security, and integrity on all systems.
- Document software, hardware and account configurations.
- Provide technical support to ITS staff and other departments as
- Conform to all incident, problem, and change management
- Provide routine maintenance of Windows and Linux operating
system and layered products. Install service packs, new products
and apply maintenance and fixes to products.
- Write scripts as needed to assist in automation of
- Participate in 7x24 on-call schedule to provide support for
servers/services. Must be able to respond to emergencies by being
on-site within 30 minutes under normal circumstances.
- Other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- Associate's degree in computer science, or related field;
- 1-3 years of relevant experience; OR,
- A combination of related education, experience, and training
may be used as an equivalent.Preferred Qualifications
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Windows
and/or Linux Server operating systems.
- Hyper-V standalone and highly available administration is
- Experience in migration and administration of cloud-hosted
technologies, such as: Docker, Kubernetes, Azure DevOps, and/or
Azure AppService is desirable.
- Familiarity with load balancing solutions and implementation is
- Experience working with Cisco Firewall Services is
- Familiarity with log aggregation technologies, preferably
SPLUNK is desirable.
- Experience working in a 7x24 on-call environment is
- Familiarity with PaperCut or similar print management software
- Experience/working knowledge of Microsoft technologies: SCCM,
SharePoint, Active Directory, Exchange, Office 365.Knowledge,
Skills, & Abilities
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server and/or Red Hat Linux
installations, maintenance, and administration.
- A solid understanding of a Windows-based and/or Linux operating
system; understands file and network security, can use performance
analysis to tune systems.
- A solid understanding of networking/distributed computing
environment concepts; understands principles of routing,
- Ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to install and troubleshoot server hardware and
- Ability to troubleshoot network connectivity problems.
- Ability to write technical documentation.
- Ability to efficiently work in a team environment and bring
projects to completion in a timely manner.
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation and automate
- Excellent communication skills, customer service, team working,
and business judgment are desirable.
- Ability to work with people from a variety of culturally
diverse backgrounds.Background InformationThis position has been
identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per
AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires
satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background
investigation, employment history investigation, degree
verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.If you are applying
for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register
with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol
Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse
requirements.Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona,
NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that
assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in
the United States.Finally, each year Northern Arizona University
releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a
federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for
the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these
campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in
Flagstaff.SalaryCommensurate with experience.**The starting salary
will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant
balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary
equity considerations, and available market information.FLSA
StatusThis position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn
overtime or compensatory time for additional time
worked.BenefitsThis is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU
offers an excellent benefit package including generous health,
dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State
Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and
tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More
information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources
benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary
status for their first six months at NAU.NAU is a tobacco and
smoke-free campus.Employees offered a position will be eligible for
state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are
eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following
their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have
31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally,
new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State
Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months
after the new employee's start date.Learning and DevelopmentYour
career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for
professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your
position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee,
we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within
your first 2 years.Application DeadlineOpen until further
notice.How to ApplyTo apply for this position, please click on the
"Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by
clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application
deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there
are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in
person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on
the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.If you
are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.Equal Employment
OpportunityNorthern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the
Law Poster and SupplementsNAU is an Employer of National Service.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are
encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff , Systems Administrator, Intermediate, IT / Software / Systems , Flagstaff, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!