Charge RN OR
Company: Northern Arizona Healthcare
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Ensuring the achievement of Northern Arizona Healthcare's
mission, the Charge RN, under the supervision of the Clinical
Manager/Director, is responsible for overseeing and directing the
patient care activities on the unit during a worked shift. When
providing leadership to the department, the Charge RN acts as an
advocate for the shift, making sure the Clinical Manager/Director
are aware ofthe unique needs of the shift. The Charge RN provides
leadership for nursing personnel by being a team leader, serving as
a preceptor, and being an active member of the health care team.
The Charge RN practices within the ANA Scope of Practice, the ANA
Code of Ethics for Nurses and the standards of his/ or her
Patient Care* Addresses patient and family concerns,
communicates issues and solutions through appropriate channels.
- Documents incidents, events, interventions, and
- Serves as patient advocate.
- Prioritize and problems solves to meet changes in patient
- Works with other departments to ensure smooth patient
throughput processes including discharge planning and patient
education as appropriate.
- Collaborates with physicians and other health care
professionals to ensure staffing patterns meet appropriate skill
mix necessary for quality patient care.
- Serves as a liaison with patients, physicians, Administrative
Coordinator, Staffing Office, Transfer Center, Care Coordination
department, unit staff, ancillary staff and departments.
- Serves as a resource, assists staff in caring for patients;
able to assist physician with order entry.
Administrative* Staffing for current and next shift, determining
appropriate staff levels and mix to provide quality care and
maintain unit productivity.
- Assign patient care teams, delegate patient care activities to
unit and ancillary staff.
- Addresses work flow issues, ensures incidents are appropriately
documented and corrective steps are taken.
- Makes bed assignment based on patient needs and staff
- Identifies appropriate referral and educational resources for
patients and staff.
- Advocates for both patients and staff as needs arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NAH and department policies and
procedures. Works to ensure compliance of best practice amongst
each staff member.
Coaching and Development* Ensures staff accountability, monitors
staff performance, and provides real time constructive feedback
- Identifies performance opportunities for improvement and
provides resources and education as needed.
- Regularly recognizes employees for strong performance and
- Writes and delivers employee performance evaluations.
- Collaborates and communicates with the clinical manager
regarding staff performance.
- Provides coaching to nursing staff.
- Provides input to nursing leadership regarding employment
actions including performance evaluation, promotion, corrective
action and termination on a regular basis.
Education* Participates in creating and sustaining a learning
environment supported by evidenced based practice and research.
- Focuses on personal development areas, engaging in
professional/collegial interactions with peers and students.
- Works collaboratively with peers and other health care
providers, and participating in ongoing in-service and educational
- Participates in the mentoring and education of colleagues and
Compliance/Safety* Responsible for reporting any safety related
incident in a timely fashion through the Midas/RDE tool; attends
all safety related training programs; performs work in a safe
manner; monitors work environment for possible safety issues and
ensures others are also performing work in a safe manner.
- Adheres to regulatory and organizational standards affecting
patient care and safety as well as all hospital and departmental
policies and procedures. Practices in a safe and cost effective
- Stays current and complies with state and federal
regulations/statutes and company policies that impact the employees
area of responsibility.
- If required for position, ensures all certifications and/or
licenses are up-to-date and valid prior to expiration dates.
- Completes all company mandatory modules and required job
specific training in the specified time frame.
- Maintains timely and accurate documentation of assessments,
interventions, EMR entries, and patient responses.
- Must be enrolled into a BSN program within 1 year from date of
acceptance and obtain within 3 years of employment.
Certification & Licensures
- Active, unrestricted, Arizona RN License or valid,
participating compact license- Required
- BLS (American Heart Assoc.)- Required
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as an OR RN- Preferred
Healthcare is a rapidly changing environment and technology is
integrated into almost all aspects of patient care. Computers and
other electronic devices are utilized across the organization and
throughout each department. Colleagues must have an understanding
of computers, and competence in using computers and basic software
Keywords: Northern Arizona Healthcare, Flagstaff , Charge RN OR, Other , Flagstaff, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!